CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Where do I start?

I thought I would start a blog about my experience with Lyme Disease. I kind of feel like I'm in a nightmare. It just seems hard to believe that this is happening.

I wish Lyme Disease was as easy to get over as some doctors would like you to believe. (Pop some antibiotics for a month and it's all over.) Unfortunately it is A LOT more complicated than that.

I'm taking Minocycline right now (100 mg. 2X a day). It has some side effects. It makes you feel dizzy, nauseous, and just out of it. Hopefully I start to feel better soon. I really hate this.

I've been so emotionally and physically drained. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. There are so many things I'm worried about, but I'm trying my hardest to stay positive.

I'm going to get Holden tested pretty soon. I pray that he doesn't have this! If he does I don't know what I will do.

I'm trying to find an LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) to visit but the closest one is 9+ hours away. Me and Matt are seriously thinking about going to one doctor we found. He is in Louisiana and has been treating Lyme patients for years. I really want someone that knows what they are doing. I've read that not treating LD correctly (i.e. not using enough or the right antibiotics) can just make the bacteria lay dormant. Then later on (maybe years down the road) it will come back with a vengence. I feel like this is my one chance to COMPLETELY eradicate this from my body.

Matt, my husband, has been so supportive. I couldn't have a better person to lean on. He told me he wants to do WHATEVER it takes to get me feeling better. Even if it means taking a trip to Louisiana and having to pay out of pocket. Most LLMD's don't accept insurance, because if they do, they could get their licenses taken away. There are A LOT of politics involved with Lyme Disease. I never realized this was going on. So many people are suffering but can't get the care they need because someone (who doesn't even know how it feels) says that EVERYONE can be cured with 1 month of antibiotics. So most insurances won't pay for any more than that. It is really outrageous. I hope one day things will change.

Watch this movie trailer. It's a documentary about Lyme. It will really open your eyes.

5 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

many hugs Lauren. I can't believe this is happeing. :(
Why do you think Holden might have it? has he had a tick before? I'll cross my fingers and say some prayers for you!

Laura said...

I'm so sorry you're walking this rough road right now, Lauren. You are in my thoughts often! And I'm learning TONS about Lyme Disease from following your journey.

Love and hugs!

Lauren said...

Thanks girls. I really appreciate you checking out my blog. It helps to have support. I'm still in disbelief about all of this.

Corey, I'm not sure if I had this when I was pregnant. I didn't show symptoms~ which is a good thing. But the other day I was looking at an old thread I posted back in '03 (on a diff. message board) and I was having the rapid heart beat, chest pain thing. I didn't even really remember that incident until I read about it. It just lasted a few days. The bacteria that causes Lyme can lay dormant for a while. I hope I didn't have this back then.. but I'm not sure. So I'm going to get him tested. I will be way nervous about that!

Corey~living and loving said...

WOW Lauren. I sure hope you didn't have it while pregnant. I will be sending many prayers for that.

joni said...

Laura, I have lyme, too. It was in remission, and has come back with a vengence! I live in Louisianna. Please give me the name of the doctor in Louisianna. I need a new one.