CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

10 months later...

It's been just over 10 months since I started treatment for Lyme Disease. Sometimes I feel like I haven't made any ground. I definitely thought I would be much better by now. However, when I think back to how I was feeling when I was first diagnosed, I have made some progress. Either that or I'm just getting better at coping with this. I would like to think the first thought is true. That I have made some gain in taking all of these antibiotics.

When I was first diagnosed, I couldn't go anywhere by myself. I felt so lightheaded and dizzy all of the time I was terrified that something would happen when I was by myself or worse when it was just me and Holden. So I saved all of my errands for when Matt was home. I also would have to hold on to the basket or stroller a lot during this time. It became a regular thing for Matt to say "Do you want to push the basket (or stroller)."

Now I don't feel lightheaded nearly as often. I can go to the store by myself. I no longer have to hold on to anything for support. That is certainly some improvement! I need to start looking more at what has gotten better besides dwelling on what has stayed the same.

I started a new antibiotic called levaquin a few weeks ago. I wanted to try to treat some possible co-infections. Levaquin usually targets a co-infection called Bartonella or "Cat Scratch Fever". I've been on it nearly 3 weeks and haven't seen much difference. Usually it causes a severe herx reaction in people that have Bartonella. So maybe that means I probably don't have that... which means I can start treating other possible co-infections.

I think next I'm going to see about treating Babesia. I treated it for a couple months early on in my treatment. All of the co-infections are based on clinical symptoms. I quite a few symptoms of Babesia so my doctor put me on Malarone (an anti- Malaria drug). Babesia is a protozoan that is why you can't treat it with antibiotics. Well I didn't stay on the treatment for long and wasn't sure if I took the meds correctly. You are supposed to take it with fat or else the Malarone won't absorb properly. I would get kind of lazy and just drink a few oz. of milk with it. I know that has some fat in it, but maybe it wasn't enough??

So that is my next step... trying to treat Babesia. I really hope I can start improving more rapidly. I want to be completely better so bad!!!!

4 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

OH Lauren. It is good that you are thinking of the positive things. A good attitude can certainly help.
i'll be hoping the new treatment makes a difference.
hugs!

Bryan Rosner said...

Hello, your blog is great. I would like to send you my book, The Top 10 Lyme Disease Treatments. Will you review the book and post a review and link on your blog? I can mail it to you, a complementary copy, it normally is $35 + 7 shipping. Here is more info: http://www.defeatlyme.com . Email me at theskyking@aol.com or call me 530-541-7200.

Laura said...

Oh my, what a journey...*hugs* I'm thinking about you, Lauren, and hoping that these treatments continue to help you feel a little bit better each day. You are a STRONG woman!

Vic said...

I am so glad that you have started to get better. I have been waiting to here from you! I found your blog by chance and have been waiting for an update to see how you're doing!

It's always better to look at the things that have gotten better but sometimes it's more difficult to do. Thank you for sharing with us.

I continue to pray for you-

If you would like you can visit my blog it is also a blog about life with Lyme. I have it as well.

- Victoria from NY